We have been asked to join a project being run by Cornwall Council’s archaeology department and the AONB. The start date is the 1st or 8th February. (TBC).
In order to give you a flavour of the what we hope to achieve, most of the work involving volunteer participants will include the following:
· Working in fairly remote coastal sites with poor access. All sites are withing the Cornwall AONB areas, both sites are SSSI. They are considered fairly wild but beautiful landscapes with diverse ecology and rich in terms of heritage. There will be little in the way of welfare facilities at all sites.
· Working alongside a team of professional archaeologists and both experienced and inexperienced volunteers.
· Assisting with vegetation clearance, use of hand tools such as hand saws, loppers, secateurs to reveal known archaeological features (Iron Age/Romano-British roundhouses)
· Removal of cut vegetation for stacking/burning
· Toolbox talks/training in the use of various tools
. Training in basic archaeological survey methods, involving measured survey, taking measurements, drawing to scale, annotation of drawings and interpretation of the historic landscape with training from the archaeologist team.
· Photographic survey of eroding cliff and assessment for exposed archaeological remains, with training from the archaeologist team.
· Recording of exposed features – completion of pro forma record sheets and photographic record·
“Additional benefit is gained through the social cohesion and camaraderie gained by working with people from different backgrounds, the ‘upskilling’ gained through the technical aspects of archaeology, the softer skills development through the activities, and the acquisition of some valuable work experience which can be of enormous benefit for anyone who is struggling to secure a meaningful career.” – Nicholas, Soldier On!
“Cornwall Archaeological Unit are delighted to have Soldier On! on board and we can’t wait to get more people involved in bringing some of Cornwall’s prehistoric sites back to life!” – James, Cornwall Council.
If you are interested in participating please email email@example.com
We are keen to attract sponsorship for us to be able to participate in this project, needing to raise circa £1,500. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if your organisation would like to sponsor this event. To thank you, and to boost employee engagement, we will offer ONE place to a member of staff from any organisation that sponsors the event.